8. John Paul SMITH
Ancestral File Number:<AFN> 23RS-5J4
9. Mabel Dora Anna ENFIELD
Ancestral File Number:<AFN> 23RS-64S
12. Daniel La Vern WAKLEY
Remarks: SEXTON, Lot 222, Space 2 Danny WAKLEY, lot
SEXTON, Lot 222, Space 1
Arms: Argent on a fess sable between three eagles displayed azure as many crescents of the field.
Translation: A white shield with three silver crescents on a black bar between three blue eagles displayed.
Coats of arms originated as motifs borne on the shields of knights in armour in order that they could be identified on the battlefield ~ These 'armorials' were formalized and recorded by herald from the 13th century onwards with crests and mottos later supplementing the arms. The language of heraldry is of great antiquity and it is from such ancient history that a decorative representation may be portrayed.
The WAKELY Blazon of Arms is recorded in Burke's General Armoury.
The surname WAKELY is a locational name for "one from Wakeley" in Hertfordshire meaning "soft or wet meadow".
Early Historical Example: Roger Wakeley, 1332, Subsidy Rolls.
David Linstead Heraldry - England
INTRODUCTORY NOTES ON WAKELY HISTORY
All the following text regarding 'The First Wakelys and Their Times: 1300-1500', the informative text, trees and maps regarding 'Wakelys off the Main Tree'/Other Wakelys'/The Wakely Area' and the notes on the generations included with the individual ancestors - down to Abraham Wakely 1733-1774 Yeoman of Burstock - is the work of Mr.J.R.Wakely of London SE27, He has made a long and serious study of the Wakelys and has lodged his work with both the Society of Genealogists in London and the Dorset County Records Office in Dorchester. it consists of Vol.l (1988) and Vo1.3 revisions and additions (1991) from which certain relevant portions have been extracted to compile this current history, adding it to the research done by D.R.Lennard for his wife Olive Kate Wakely, her siblings and paternal cousins - the descendants of the line of Wakelys coming down from the above named Abraham Wakely of Burstock.
THE FIRST WAKELYS AND THEIR TIMES : 1300-1500
In the British Library there is a List of the Knights who attended the Third Crusade at the end of the 12th Century under the leadership of King Richard Coeur de Lion. Among these was Sir Roger Wakely, the first recorded holder of the name.
Surname studies agree the name is derived from a small Hertfordshire manor, now subsumed in the Parish of Westmill which lies halfway between Stevenage and Bishops Stortford. Whether or not they were descended from Sir Roger himself, it is thought the Wakelys of Dorset, Richard and Roger, also came from this manor. Its history therefore is both a part of, and a beginning, for the family history that follows. Whether the Wakelys were of Saxon or Norman origins, it is quite possible that their marriages connected them with the original inhabitants of Wakeley.
The timing of the original foundation of the settlement cannot now be established. It may have been of Roman date - Roman Stane Street passes close by. There is a large tumulus which also suggests some ancient human settlement and the Historian of Westmill and others hold to the theory that this mound gave the seltlement its name.
'Wakeley' according to this interpretation is a composite word for the field (ley) of the funeral feast (wake) of some local chief i.e. the tumulus was his burial mound. Another interpretation says that the Old English 'waeccan' watcher- or to stay awake) and 'leah' (meadow or wet clearing in a woodland) describes the occupation of someone who was responsible for looking after a clearing, meadow or some other land that had possible social, religious or agricultural significance.
The fact that Wakeley still survives as a place name on modern maps is something of a miracle and is only possible in a deeply traditionalist culture. The settlement seems to have been deserted in the latter middle ages. The lands that once constituted the manor are now a single farm all that is left bearing the name Wakeley on Hertfordshire signposts.
The best information on the lands of the manor comes from the Domesday Book - where the name is spelled Wachelei. The manor was then equally divided into three holdings of forty acres. This unusual division pre-dated the Norman Conquest and some historians believe it indicated that the manor was split between three brothers. Whatever the precise status of the three holders in the time of Edward the Confessor, they were free to sell the lands and were themselves legally free.
They do not appear to have kept their title after the Norman Conquest:- The Saxon, Eddiva the Fair, on one holding was replaced by one Ralf, who held his land from the Count of Brittany. Aelfward, one of Earl Harold's men, lost out to Robert, who held a third of Wachelei along with two nearby holdings from the Count of Boulogne. Edric, one of Earl Aelfgar's men, lost his holding to Tetbald (Theobald) who held it with three other small estates from Hardouin de Scalers.
Each holding was self-sufficient. There was enough land for one plough; meadow enough for two oxen; and wood enough for fencing on each. The condition of the land had deteriorated on Ralf's portion: it had been worth twenty shillings under King Edward, and was only worth ten by Domesday. Robert's land kept its pre-Conquest value of five shillings. Tetbald - whose land had dropped from a pre-Conquest value of fifteen shillings to seven - had managed to get the value up to fifteen again.
These differences may owe something to the availability of labour. There were seven cottars on Tetbald's land who were doubtless made to work on restoring its value; nane are mentioned on Robert's holding - maybe his Saxon predecessor Aelfward had worked it with his family, or the servants had fled or been killed; on Ralf's portion there was one sokeman (essentially free) and one serf, so he like Robert, seemed to have had labour problems.
From one or more of these. Saxon or Norman, landowner or tenant, slave or free, the Wakelys quite probably descended.
The mid-fourteenth century gives the next picture of Wakeley/Wakelegh, perhaps forty or so years after the Wakely ancestor had gone to Dorset. The Lay Subsidy Roll (tax return) for 1341 shows that Wakeley had much of its land unploughed. Probably this resulted from the succession of murrains that had killed off livestock over the preceding years and the accompanying scourge of severe droughts. For a small settlement like Wakeley, these twin disasters were the beginning of the end: one hundred years later it had completely disappeared. However, advanced archaelogical techniques allow us to place it and to a certain extent we can describe it and its situation.
Wakeley seems to have been a small street village. The evidence for this is the house platforms that can clearly be seen along the south side of the route of the old track from Cherry Green in neighbouring Westmill. This is now a sunken way running through a field past one pond to another. The second pond must have been near the village centre as the mound which is all that remains of the church is beside it. As Hertfordshire was rich in timber, no stone foundations survive, and nothing can therefore be said about the layout of the houses, nor is there any clue as to where the three lords lived.
Wakeley began as a small place and evidently remained so until its final disappearance as a settlement. From the Domesday evidence the land was good - meadowland was rare and valuable in Hertfordshire. It fetched a price in the fourteenth century six times that of ordinary arable land. Someone who left before the murrains and droughts of the mid-fourteenth century and who had profited from the prosperity of the thirteenth century might have 'done all right'.
This judgement seems to fit with the three presumed fourteenth century emigrants to Dorset from the manor or village of Wakely:- Richard, the prosperous resident of Hawkchurch in West Dorset; his contemporary Roger of More Crichel in East Dorset - both having left well before the troubles of the fourth decade of the fourteenth century and, the third, John, perhaps one generation their junior, a rich London merchant who died in the third quarter of the century.
Given the size of Wakeley, and inheritance of manorial rights is known, it is probably correct to see these three presumed emigrants as either descendants of the one remaining Saxon freeman of the manor, or of a younger son of one of the lords who, like manorial officials often did, made a good thing out of managing the lord's business. The Wakelys were probably, therefore, in Hertfordshire more or less exactly what they were to emerge as in Dorset - Yeomen.
The first Wakelys of Dorset
Hawkchurch, the village where Richard de Wakelegh' <wakely-sheet-1.html> was established, and More Chrichel, where his contemporary Roger lived, were at opposite ends of Dorset county - Hawkchurch an the Devon border, More Chrichel near the border with Hampshire.
Richard and Roger were both christian names introduced by the Normans, but that is not to say the two were necessarily of Norman origin. Most of their neighbours (or at least those rich enough to pay taxes) also had Norman names. It is possible that Richard and/or Roger were the descendants of the crusading knight of a century before - but no more probable than a similarly conjectural descent from King Richard Coeur de Lion of another Dorsetman - he was called Thomas Querdelyon!
We are not concerned with Roger from More Chrichel, however. There is no evidence to suggest he founded any surviving line, either in Dorset or elsewhere. It is quite probable that if he had a family it was wiped out by the Black Death which entered England by a Dorset port in the mid-fourteenth century.
It was in West Dorset that the Wakely newcomers put down roots; Richard of Hawkchurch was almost certainly the 'paterfamilias' of all Dorset Wakelys, and can surely be recorded as the forefather of the later Wakelys of Hawkchurch, who were settled not only in the same parish but in the same tithing of the parish where Richard lived.
Fourteenth century neighbours
The lords of the manors of Hawkchurch and Vynlegh were abbots from the parishes of Chardstock and Thorncombe - this would be significant later for the Wakely family. The main lords were also clerical, Chardstock was held by the Bishop of Salisbury, most of Thorncombe was controlled by the Abbot of Forde. Only Holditch manor or lordship in Thorncombe was known to have lay lords in medieval times. Local society therefore would more than likely be dominated by manorial officials and richer farmers, both having similar origins, with the officials very likely to become rich farmers given the opportunities inherent in their jobs.
Subsidy rolls do not show which taxpayers were also manorial officials, some undoubtedly would have been, but the names on the rolls do give us some idea of the origins and occupations of those featured. Some like Richard de Wakelegh' were newcomers: Dennis de Elleworth; Humphrey de Brammesleigh; Roger de Haukmore; Richard de Colemore; Ralph de Borcombe; Thomas and Henry de Cochesete and Alica Toteriches. Others presumably lived in particular surroundings; John atte Moure from marshy ground to the south; Humphrey atte Doune on hilly land to the north east; Robert atte Watsre from the banks of the Axe in the valley; Thomas atte Wode reclaiming land from the scattered woodlands. One, Thomas atte Brouk,stands out significantly - by the fifteenth century the Brook family were lords of Holditch in Thorncombe, and at the end of the sixteenth had acquired the manor of Hawkchurch.
Other names showed physical characteristics. Mr. Bairde (superior beard), le Fransch (Foreign extraction), le Fissher and le Marlere (occupatianal) the first being self-explanatary, the second from marl a mixture of clay sail and carbonate of Lime which is found at various depths below the soil and was highly valued as a fertiliser. Marling a field was a major investment yielding rich dividends.
Only three personal names which appeared in the 1327 and 1332 subsidy rolls re-appear 200 years later for the tithing of Phillyholme in the 1525 subsidy roll. Wakely, Colmer (de Colemore) and Davy: probably from the rich Edith Davis of 1327. There were forty names in the 1525 subsidy return (almost exactly the number in 1527) and the lack of continuity suggests that some of the original names had become occupational. There were Tailors, Webbers, Clerks and Turners in the 1525 roll and other changes may have resulted because the poor of 1327 had become the rich of 1525 and vice versa. In other cases, lack of continuity was brought about by the families concerned about becoming extinct in the male line.
For the Wakelys the opportunities included the possibility of marriage with local heiresses. Such names as Humphrey de Brammesleigh may have disappeared, their genes however may have survived in the Wakelys.
Fourteenth century life
The century opened just as an expanding population was reaching the point where opportunities for expanding food production were being exhausted. During previous decades new lands were cultivated by clearing woodland, reclaiming marshland and wasteland. However, without natural fertility much of this new land was soon exhausted. As arable farming expanded it precluded a parallel expansion of livestock farming with its essential by-product - manure. Crops on marginal land rapidly dropped. To add to this inevitable decline, a series of appalling harvests in the second decade of the fourteenth century was followed in the third decade by a run of epidemics that decimated the cattle and sheep population.
Twenty years later, midway in the century, the human population suffered a direct blow - the Black Death, a plague unprecedented in its ferocity and the speed at which it spread. It had entered England via the Dorset ports in 1348; within weeks it was eating into the neighbouring counties of Devon and Somerset; by the end of the year it had reached London.
This was the first of three outbreaks and it affected mainly the adult population. The second, thirteen years later, was given the special name 'murtalite des enfants' - children being particularly affected as they had not built up resistance in the previous epidemic. The third main wave of Black Death occurred in 1369 and by the end of the century it was suggested that two thirds of the population had died.
The decline in the working agricultural population reinforced other pressures leading to the freeing of the market in land. Those persons who had survived the Black Death had more opportunity for securing more land, of better quality. The economic privileges of the main landowners grew less, the Peasants' Revolt of 1381 (though rapidly defused) won its main immediate objective, the removal of the very unpopular poll tax and the landlord class were unable to enforce laws imposed to control wages.
Efficient farmers (the Wakely's included) grew prosperous, building up their holdings. Still occupying the same place in the social hierarchy below vallets, esquiers, chivalers and seigneurs - they nevertheless began to become employers and achieved greater social standing.
The Hundred Years war, starting like the Black Death halfway through the century also helped. Absent knights, made hungry for cash due to wartime taxation willingly leased their lands and relaxed feudal abligations. Conscrjpted soldiers and sailors, who never returned, left their lands available for those who stayed at home.
Richard de Wakelegh' <wakely-sheet-1.html> and his immediate (unnamed) descendants, working hard. investing prudently, and begetting healthy heirs, would have been typical of those who seized the opportunities of the age so outweighing the hazards. Reasonably it can be assumed that the next century (even with its great lack of local history records) saw the continuation of the Wakely occupation in the prosperous tithing of Phillyholme.
A lost century
In the fifteenth century the surname Wakely makes a near-complete disappearance from records and maps. The exceptions are all in London where John Wakeley or Wakele, vintner, citizen, alderman and sheriff of London died about 1407 (will proved). He was probably the son of John of 'All Hallows the Great' in the City (his will proved thirty years earlier). A third John, son of John the sheriff, died in 1409, his estate managed by Ferdinando Wakely. Their wills, now preserved in the London Guildhall give no clues to their origins or location of properties. The first John may have been a young man from Dorset making his way in trade while his elder brother stayed at home building up his farming and wool interests, or he might, like Richard, have been a migrant from Hertfordshire.
The fifteenth century left one only with historic generalisations. It can rightly be described as one of the greatest creative periods for English architecture and music but was singularly poor in chronicles and informative records. The great series of monastic chronicles which shed so much light on the earlier centuries were replaced in the 1400's by crude and credulous popular histories. In local terms, where manorial records do not survive (unhappily the norm rather than the exception) one can only check the dry details of property transactions recorded in the agreements known as 'feet of fines' and the equally boring details of properties in which the King had an interest. These were recorded in the 'inquisitiones post mortem' - inquests after the death of tenants-in-chief who were protecting the properly interest of the crown. Both these sources would be silent in terms of Wakelys as they were almost certainly tenants of monasteries or were holding lands from intermediate lords.
Now we come to the beginning of the sixteenth century when for the family historian things start to get easier. Parish records of baptisms, marriages and burials, records of wills, monumental inscriptions and publications of local directories etc, were all becoming available. The introduction of census records in the beginning of the 19th century was an invaluable aid in guiding the searcher back to counties and parishes and bringing to light members of families unknown previously. On each of the individual sheets regarding ancestors in the following Wakely history, as much other information regarding the relevant generations has been included but it must be stressed - nothing can be guaranteed!
WAKELYS OFF THE MAIN TREE
It is impossible to tell what branches spread from the main Wakely bole in northwest Dorset during the genealogical 'black hole' that covers the latter part of the fourteenth century and the whole of the fifteenth. It has been speculated that the merchant Wakelys of London might have been newcomers from Dorset seeking to make their fortunes and reasonably we can assume that these London Wakelys were ancestors of the Wakelys found in Kent in the seventeenth century registers.
However, from the beginning of the sixteenth century, it is possible to start making educated guesses of relationships with contemporary Wakelys and by the end of that century to connect several other Wakely families with same certainty.
The trees that follow cover:
The Wakelys of Whitchurch Canonicorum (the elder line) and branches at Chideock, Bridport and Swanage.
The Wakelys of Hartland and Morwenstow (north west Devon on the northern border of Cornwall).
The Wakelys of Honiton in eastern Devon.
The Wakelys of Whitchurch Canonicorum
The Wakelys of Whitchurch separate into two branches; those retaining a connection with Whitchurch and its neighbour Chideock; those moving east first to Bridport, then to Swanage on the Isle of Purbeck. Many wills, backed up by very full parish registers and other evidence enables one to eliminate them completely from the direct ancestry of this history.
New names of Walter and Osmund appear but it is noticeable that the old Wakely family names of Thomas, John and William still keep their end up.
Like the Hawkchurch Wakelys, the family on the Whitchurch side, in time, covered quite a social range. Some owned large estates, trying to prove their right to bear arms. Some, although remaining Yeomen, were given the courtesy title of gentleman; others married into gentry families. Some became coastal traders, blacksmiths; one from the rich side became an apothecary.
Even though some of the landed side acquired properties very close to their remote cousins in Stoke Abbot, they did not live on them and can be clearly differentiated from the Stoke Abbot branch
The Wakelys of Hartland and Morwenstow
This branch of the Wakelys of Hawkchurch separates from the main tree about 1600, starting with Sylvester Rockett alias Wakely. 'Rockett" comes from a transliteration in Chard parish register where often 'o's in writing of the period narrow to a point where they look like 'Cs.
Sylvester's descendant's names make it practically certain he was the son of William Wakely alias Rockett of Whitestaunton (will proved 1624). The tree shows that Sylvester was still living in his home area when he married. The fact that his marriage took place in Chard is a further indication that Robert Rockett alias Wakely (of Chard at death) in the main tree, was the father of both Hawkchurch and Whitestaunton branches.
The move to Hartland, at the furthest end of Devon from Dorset, connects with the theory that the Rocketts had strong trading interests. In the times of Sylvester, Hartland was more important as a trading town than neighbouring Bideford. Difficult to credit now because the quay which history reports as bustling with ships has long since been washed away by the fierce seas swirling below Hartland's steep cliffs. A twentieth century guidebook describes it as 'the most sparsely populated farming area of the West Country, a great cul-de-sac of an 18,000 acre parish'.
Morwenstow, now in Cornwall, was where Sylvester's grandson settled. It has been described as 'the lonely farthest north of England's farthest south'. Like Hartland it was obviously rich at one time - its Norman church is beautifully decorated, and the local manor house of Tonacombe, surviving now as much as it did in Sylvester's day, shows that the local lords were prosperous.
The tree does not give all the details of the considerable race of Wakelys founded by Sylvester but it does show enough to be able to eliminate the branch from the direct ancestry of the Stoke Abbot line. Usefully, it is a typical bit of evidence to show the devotion to traditional names in a family - Sylvester and his father William are repeated often and it is likely that Peter was the name of Sylvester's father-in-law.
A much larger version of the Morwenstow branch of Wakelys is lodged in the Library of the Society of Genealogists in London.
The Wakelys of Honiton
It is not clear why a branch of the Wakely family developed in Honiton. The fact is that three of the recorded Wakelys in the parish preserved the Rockett name. This makes it fairly certain that Honiton Wakelys are descended from the Wakelys of Hawkchurch.
William and John were the names used by the Honiton Wakelys, suggesting strongly that, like the Wakelys of Hartland and Morwenstow, they derived from William of Whitestaunton, and in this case, from his son John the miller of Phillyholme. As negative evidence there is the fact that no other trace of John's descendants can be found.
Geographically the move was not a great one. Honiton is approximately twelve miles from Hawkchurch - two miles from neighbouring Axminster, and then ten more miles by what is now and was then in the seventeenth century an important main road to Exeter and beyond to Plymouth.
Therefore there may have been a trading reason for the move. Another hypothesis is possible however. Wakelys had established themselves in Thornecombe by the seventeenth century. The proprietor of the ancient Abbey of Ford was the most important landowner there and since the last Abbot founded almshouses at Honiton it may indicate there was an estate connection on which the Wakelys built.
Three short lived Wakely branches, not covered in the main tree, whose bases were in the reach of the original Hawkchurch home are ...
(a) Isle Brewers, north of Chard. For a brief period in the seventeenth century references are found in the name of William. These may wall be another offshoot of the William of Whitestaunton branch.
(b) Dartmouth in Devon. Another seventeenth 'sighting' not necessarily connected with the family in this history. The only evidence for that is the use of the name Edward across two generations - a secondary name of the Hawkchurch Wakelys. Perhaps more significant is the sharing of the unusual girl's christian name 'Wllmot' with the Honiton branch. In any event, the Wakelys did not establish at Dartmouth for very long, two generations saw their time out there. Interestingly however the wheel turned a full circle when Reuben William Wakely born in Southsea married Emma Jane Elliott on Sunday 29th January 1882 at Dittisham near Dartmouth. Reuben was the paternal great uncle of the recipients of this history and was a seaman based on HMS Brittania at Dartmouth College.
(c) Exeter. Partly on the use of names it is guessed that they may have derived from the Wakelys of Bideford. Also both towns were important trading centres in the eighteenth century when mention of Exeter Wakelys are concentrated and Bideford ones decline. Wills from the Exeter branch might have given some clue but unfortunately these were destroyed in the 1939-1945 war.
Elsewhere in England
The Wakelys of London of the fourteenth and fifteenth may have been of Dorset origin. The only evidence is from the Dorset visitations which show a family of London merchants marrying the heiress of one John Wakely and almost immediately afterwards setting themselves up among the gentry of Dorset.
Possibly the London Wakelys were the founders of another county line in Kent. They emerge in the seventeenth century, achieving 'county' status by the end of the eighteenth century and probably the ancestors of the Wakelys of Rainham. These achieved distinction in this century in the medical world and became baronets.
The main alternative to London and Dorset would have been Shropshire. Wakely references in Shropshire do not survive as early as those for Dorset but a Wakely family of substance was there from the sixteenth century. They were found in Early Chancery Proceedings covering the years 1500-1515. Like the Dorset Wakelys they started prosperous and stayed long. The Shropshire Wakelys might have derived from those of the Dorset borders as wool. trade routes connected the two counties. Or again, they might have been descended from another emigrant from the Wakeley manor in Hertfordshire. What is certain is that any connection with the Dorset Wakelys is very distant indeed.
Gloucestershire also had a branch but further research shows it lasted only through the seventeenth century. The main christian name used there was Leonard. One of the most likely conclusions is that a commercial family based in the great trading centre of Bristol had used whatever profits it had earned to purchase property in the Gloucestershire wool country. Equally it might have been an offshoot of the Wakelys to the north in Shropshire. Once more, no plausible connection can be made with the Wakelys of Dorset.
Finally it is clear from information from the descendants of the Wakely of the Isle of Wight that their line stemmed from Whitchurch.
The Wakelys of Ireland
For the Wakelys of Ireland a plausible connection can be established that their genealogical history starts in Devon; the names of Devon/Dorset Wakelys were used; and that the founder of the Irish Wakelys appears on their pages of history just as he disappears from the records of Hawkchurch.
It is very likely that the founder of this line was John Wakely the son of Thomas, Lord Wakely of Wakely Hall, Devon. This line perhaps more than any other has direct ancestry to Richard de Wakeleg' recorded in the subsidy rolls of 1327 and 1332. The contemporaries of John lived in Hawkchurch (at that time in Dorset, but now in Devon) and were in the process of acquiring lands at Thorncombe (then in Devon, now in Dorset). Just when he left they were in Colyton so the point of origin may be significant. Although the actual location of Wakely Hall is not known it is thought very likely to be found in the parish of Hawkchurch.
The fact that John was a merchant as well as a soldier also plausibly explains why he moved from the busy wool trading area an the Dorset/Devon borders to the new opportunities being opened up in Ireland.
John was granted lands in Navan in 1547 and as mentioned above the Irish Wakelys were extremely faithful to the names John and Thomas in the first nine generations the Wakelys of Navan and then of the Ballyburly estate counted four Johns and five Thomases among the nine eldest sons who inherited.
The Library of the Society of Genealogists has a second Wakely History lodged with them which contains a very interesting collection of facts and records of letters etc. a few of which have been extracted below.
1. John Wakely is described by an inscription upon a monument in the Parish Church of Ballyburley as the 'captain of 100 horse and 100 foot in the beginning of Queen Elizabeth's reign'.
2. John Wakely's Arms are sculptured in stone over the doorway of the Parish Church of Ballyburley and described in heraldic terms as;
'Gu, a chevron between three crosslets. arg. on a chief of the last a stags head caboshed of the first'.
The interesting connection with the Dorset Wakelys is the fact that a stag was the emblem on the seal of John Rockett alias Wakely of Holditch.
3. Entry in the Calender of the patent and close rolls of Chancery in Ireland, signed at Kilmainham Dec 15 1550 details his large holdings;
'Letter of Lord Deputy and Council directing John Wakely to have a lease for 21 years of the lands of Ballybyrle, the Eskermore, Ballycollgen, Richardston, Ballynlea, Ballybaken, Ballyworen, the Rathe, Dromkit, and Ballygowen, Beallacorre, Ballenoren, the Neweton, Clennemeane, Colker, Klronarne, the Loaghe, Klonerell, Kyloshell, Kloremore and Kylloyne in the county of O'Ffalley and to have a survey thereof made before sealing of the lease'.
4. According to an Old Pedigree John Wakely married Ann the 2nd daughter of Sir Oliver Plunkett probably between 1547 and 1557;
'John Wakely of Navan, and Oliver Nugent had a patent of lands in Meath and dated 20th June 1547. Ditto in louth and Meath, Fiant for lease 19th Sept. 1550. Ditto for lands in Kings Co, including Ballyburly, Faint 15th Feb 1550 John Wakely married Ann second daughter of Sir Oliver Plunkett. Knt.'
It is believed this marriage resulted in 4 sons. John died circa 1571.
The family pedigree is recorded in 19th cent. editions of Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland. No attempt is made to cover it in this history.
THE WAKELY AREA
The Wakelys are first found in Dorset in the tithing of Phillyholme, the southern half of the parish of Hawkchurch. The first known inherited lands were in that tithing and for five hundred and fifty years direct Wakely ancestors lived and worked within five miles of this early base. Until the mid-eighteenth century their brides came from within the same tightly drawn radius.
These lands are mentioned throughout the trees and individual sheets of the ancestors in this history.
It is suggested that the first known Wakely lands at Chackridge may well have been the lands Richard de Wakleg' came to at the beginning of the fourteenth century.
Chackridge - the original Wakely base?
Wakelys possessed the Chackridge lands by the end of the 16th century and were labelled as heredilaments. They were not freehold - by this time the tenure was by leasehold. Probably the Wakelys, Like many yeomen of the 16th century, converted a copyhold estate in Chackridge (i.e. one held by custom of the manor, and subject to the jurisdiction of a manor court) to a leasehold one - specifying like 17th century leases that no suit of court would be owed.
Chackridge itself was once an independent lordship - in early documents, it is the 'Lordship of" Chekeridge' - there are later references to it as 'a freehold estate and reputed manor'.
The original Wakely interest in it is unknown but what is known is that John Rockett alias Wakely's will (1620) makes a point of entailing the Chackridge lands on his grandchildren, while making no provision for later lands. That these lands were Wakelys may be inferred from a run of seventeenth century deeds dealing with the lands - John's son Thomas is careful in these deeds to sign himself Wakely alias Rockett while in other land deads he signs as Rockett alias Wakely. The seal he uses on these deeds - featuring a trippant stag - is distinct from the Rockett seal on the same documents - featuring a coat of arms with three swords. These are evidence that the lands in question were Wakely not Rockett inheritances.
The lands which are on high land south of Hawkchurch village comprised some one hundred and forty acres - roughly the area of the two farms of Chackridge that survive today. They became two farms in the Wakely's days, John and Thomas the two oldest grandsons of John Rocket alias Wakely having one each. As one property they were probably the whole of Chackridge lordship.
Richard de Wakeleg's standing as one of the top subsidy payers in the parish of Hawkchurch in 1327 shows that the lands may well have been the source of his wealth. For this reason his descendants stayed put for the succeeding three centuries.
Today, their softly rolling, well-drained fields are still unspoiled and command panoramic views over the Axe Valley into Devon - one can understand the Wakely unwillingness to move.
The tithing of Phillyholme was in the southern half of Hawkchurch Parish.
Wakelys possessed lands in Chackridge and certainly owned West Lears and Herridges Farms and parts of Hewood.
They appear to have had property (? inherited from Wolmington family) in Tytherleigh and it was here in 1700 that Isaac Wakely from Stoke Abbott died after being attacked at Hawkchurch by a man from that parish and was buried at Chardstock.
Job, William and Moses Wakely farmed at Weycroft in the early 1800s. They were ancestors of the line of Wakelys down to Mr.J.R.Wakely of London SE27.
Axminster and Marshwood were the first known Rockett centres - being conveniently placed on the main roads inland from Lyme Regis.
After a, period in the Hawkchurch/Thorncombe area the Wakelys moved to Stoke Abbott and farmed in Mosterton.
Abraham Wakely Yeoman of Burstock was lessee of Stockham Estate and Laverstoke Farm and it was here that our Thomas Wakely <wakely-sheet-17.html> was born and became joint beneficiary with his mother Catherine. It appears he also took over the farm of his cousin Abraham at Mosterton some time after 1773.
The site of the old Church graveyard of the Chapel of Ease of Mosterton can still be seen from the road up from Mosterton to South Perrott - now overgrown and abandoned but with one of the firs planted by Mr John Wakely (a grandson) to surround the small burying ground still standing. These were planted after the old church was taken down in 1832.
Remarks: SEXTON, Lot 222, Space 2 Danny WAKLEY, lot
SEXTON, Lot 222, Space 1
13. Mary Edna EVANS
Remarks: SEXTON, Lot 222, Space 2 Danny WAKLEY, lot
SEXTON, Lot 222, Space 1
Remarks: SEXTON, Lot 222, Space 2 Danny WAKLEY, lot
SEXTON, Lot 222, Space 1
14. Milton E. CANHAM Twin
Name Suffix:<NSFX> Twin
Ancestral File Number:<AFN> 55ZK-LX
BURIED AT REDWOOD MEMORIAL EATATES, IN SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH.
Name Suffix:<NSFX> (TWIN)
Ancestral File Number:<AFN> 55ZK-LX