CHAPTER 7 PART 4|
U.S.ARMY RESERVE CENTER (Miyasaki Hall) Rexburg, Idaho 83440-2526
The 449th Civil Affairs Company from time USAR Center was dedicated until January 1968.
The 691st Quartermaster Company, Detachment 1. 96th US Army Reserve Command and the 199th Military Police Company from January 1968 to January 1972.
The 539th Signal Company from January 1972 until October 1993.
Miyasaki Hall USAR Center is located on approximately 2.75 acres at 379 South 2nd East Rexburg, Idaho. On June 6th 1976 the Teton Dam disaster happened. The USAR Center became the command post for the civil defense, the Idaho State Police, the Idaho National Guard, FIMA, and other state, county, city officers, due to the fact that it became quite apparent that the flood would inundate the civil defense center in the courthouse. Due to that fact Sixth US Army was called at about 1120 hours and advised of the situation and the need of the facility as a control center and permission was received from the duty officer at that time. About 70 Idaho State Policemen were working out of the USAR Center. The Madison County Sheriff, Fire Department, County Commissions, Rexburg Police, Rexburg Fire Department, and Mayor's Office worked out of the USAR Center. The Army Reserve Unit was put on IDT training the first five days of the flood. The USAR Center became the center for activities and personnel donated countless hours of volunteer service. Ronnie Moss, the Madison Civil Defense Director, had the civil defense mobilized from the moment that trouble began. Gary Clawson, Darrel L. and Barbara J. Wakley worked many hours helping in the next several months. Darrel L. Wakley was the Unit Administrator of the United States Army Reserve Center. During the tenure of Teton Dam Emergency, the following rooms of the USAR Center were used as follows: The Commander's office served the 70 Idaho State Police on a 24-hour/day/7day/week basis. The training officer served the County and City Police. The government adjuster representative for the BOR also used it when figuring property damage. The administration office worded on US Army Reserve duties. The classrooms were used as a command post by the civil defense, county commissioners, Keith Walker, Dell Klingler, and Leo Smith, Rexburg Mayor John C. Porter and his council. These classrooms housed meeting with such people as Governor Cecil D. Andrus, Lt. Governor John V. Evans, Jim Brooks, Adjutant General of Idaho, US Senators and Congressmen, and regional representatives of all religious denominations for a period lasting three months. The furnace room was used as a temporary jail for prisoners from the Madison County jail until they were transferred to other jails in the valley. Then it was used as a control center for the issuance of entry permits during the first thirty days. The maintenance building served as a temporary morgue for those who perished in the flood until they were able to transfer them to funeral homes in the valley. Six people had drowned and five others had died as a result of flood related incidents. The Rexburg and Madison County Fire Department used the Retention office. It was used in part by the Idaho fish and Game, and U.S. Forest Rangers who jointly worked with the Idaho State Police. The Red Cross worked first five-day setting up radio communications. The Telephone Company had telephone service to the Army Reserve Center first thing after the flood. The Radio-Amateur Emergency Service from the State of Idaho, Ohio, Montana, Wyoming, and Utah worked many months.
Kindergarten: In 1973 the State of Idaho required the school districts to teach kindergarten. The decision came when there was inadequate space for such classes. The US Army Reserve Center became a temporary classroom for morning and afternoon sessions for two years.
In 1994 the US Army Reserve Center helped the School District #321 by giving the Alternative High School Learning Center a lease for the US Army Reserve Center at 379 South 2nd East Rexburg ID 83440.
NAMED THE ICHIRO ROY MIYASAKI HALL; US ARMY RESERVE CENTER
Private Ichiro Roy Miyasaki was born in Hibbard, Idaho, a small community adjacent to Rexburg, on April 23, 1931. He attended the Burton and Sugar Salem Schools, and Ricks College. During his school year, his
athletic prowess, integrity, courage, dependability, modesty, and clean living earned him the honor of serving as senior class president from 1948-1949. "Roy," as his family and many friends knew him, entered the service on August 28, 1951. He attended basic training at Camp Roberts, California, and departed for overseas duty in April 1952. He served with Company K, 180th Infantry Regiment, 45th Division, until he was killed in action on T-Bone Hill near Tumyongdong, Korea on June 12, 1952. Miyasaki was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, two Purple Hearts for wounds received in action (one posthumously awarded for having made the supreme sacrifice). Good Conduct Medal, Korean Service Medal with Bronze Service Star, National Defense Service Medal, Combat Infantryman's Badge. Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation Badge, United Nations Service Medal, Sharpshooter Badge with Rifle Bar, and Marksman Badge with Mortar Bar. His Distinguished Service Cross citation reads:
"The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, has awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, posthumously, to PRIVATE ICHIRO R. MIYASAKI, AUS for extraordinary heroism in military operations against an armed enemy: Private Miyasaki, Infantry, Army of the United States, a member of Company K, 180th Infantry Regiment, 45th Infantry Division, distinguished himself by extraordinary heroism in action against the enemy near Tumyongdong, Korea, 12 June 1952. While accompanying his platoon on a mission to clear the area between Hill 183 and Hill 191, an automatic rifleman was wounded early in the action and he immediately secured the automatic weapon and continued forward with the unit through heavy mortar, artillery, and automatic weapons fire. He was wounded during this action, but refused evacuation or emergency treatment and pushed rapidly ahead, killing an estimated five of the enemy. The hostile troops fell back under the fury of the attack until they reached a small knoll defended from a bunker by six enemy soldiers armed with automatic weapons and grenades. The platoon's advance was halted here until Private Miyasaki rushed the strong point, killing at least four of the defending foe. The platoon then occupied the position as the enemy retreated. Hostile units re-grouped and launched a determined counterattack. Despite wounds he had received, he gallantly withstood repeated assaults on his position, repulsing the foe with heavy losses. During this action he lost his life. Private Miyasaki's heroic actions, outstanding courage, and tenacious devotion to duty reflect the greatest credit upon himself and uphold the finest traditions of the military service."
CONSTRUCTION FACTS USAR CENTER MIYASAKI HALL:
The building is a one half unit expandable Army Reserve Training Center. It is designed to accommodate one hundred men and their equipment. A preliminary site survey was conducted; plans were under the supervision of the United States Army District Engineers. The contract for construction was awarded to Charles Zollinger and Son. The building was competed and accepted by Army Engineers on 29 August 1960. The building was dedicated and memorialized on November 11, 1960. The installation encompasses approximately 2.75 acres, and the main building has 4300 square feet of floor space, which is used for officers, classrooms, locker rooms, kitchen and supply rooms. The cost of the installation was $114,9995.00.
The renovation construction facts are as follows: A renovation and expansion contract was awarded to Charles Zollinger and Son on May 31, 1985. The contract was for approximately $729.825.00. Construction was completed on June 30, 1986. The Army Corps of Engineers was responsible for construction management and quality assurance. The renovation consisted of: Complete updating of interior, upgrade administrative officer, upgrade unit storage areas, renovate and upgrade classrooms, make the center energy efficient, upgrade mechanical and electrical systems, and renovating Organizational Maintenance Shop (OMS). New additions included administrative officers, OMS storage, photo lab, kitchen facilities, and drill hall.
Dedication of Miyasaki Hall, 11 November 1960, schedule of events 1015 AM Invocation Chaplain Dan Hess; 1018 AM Flag raising by 449th Civil Affairs Company; 1021 AM introduction of Honor Guests Captain Jack Baily and speakers; 1030 AM Address by Commanding General X US Army Maj. Gen. Edwin H. J. Carns; 1045 AM Release of Miyasaki Hall by Maj. Gen. Edwin H. J. Carns; 1047 AM Acceptance of Miyasaki Hall, Major Ross Shirley; 1050 AM Unveiling of Plaque, Mr. Tommy Miyasaki; 1055 AM Benediction by Chaplain Dan Hess; 1100 AM Period of Silence; 1102 AM Ribbon cutting, Mrs. Fusako Sakuguchi; 1103 AM Open House, Miyasaki Hall.
The Rededication Ceremony for the USAR Center Ichiro Roy Miyasaki Hall, Rexburg Idaho, was 9 May 1987; Prelude Music by Madison High School Band; Welcome by Captain H. Cornell Davidson, Commander of the 539th Signal Company; Invocation by Bishop Brent Moss, Sixth Ward, Rexburg Stake; Flag raising by the 539th Signal Company Color Guard; National Anthem by Madison High School Band; Introduction of Guests by Captain H. Cornell Davidson, Dedicatory Address by Dr. Joe J. Christensen, President, Ricks College; Unveiling of Plaque by Mr. Tommy Miyasaki, Ribbon cutting by Maj. Gen. Richard O. Christiansen, Commanding General of 96th ARCOM; Benediction by Rev. Anthony Di Loreto, Pastor, Mary Immaculate Parish.